Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Thoughts on Bernie Sanders' Candidacy

2 Reasons I Could Never Vote for Bernie
They have nothing to do with ideology



Without even looking at ideology, I have two huge problems with the idea of voting for Bernie Sanders. I certainly see some good and some bad with the man’s ideology, with his platform; however, none of that comes into play for me. At a fundamental level, I cannot even begin to consider casting a vote for the man.

One thing I think most people get wrong about American politics is the rhetoric used to tell people how to vote. From the time we are children first learning the concepts of voting and choosing our candidates, we are told some variation of “vote for the candidate who most represents your beliefs and values.” That’s nonsensical. Political elections are not the same as those for homecoming king and queen—there is actual work for the politicians to do once they are elected.

At its most basic level, a political campaign is a job interview. They are trying to convince us of how well they perform in office. We should be voting based on how well we believe they will perform. My vote does not go to the candidate who most represents my values. No, it goes to the one whom I believe will perform and product in the way I believe will most represent my values. Those two things are not the same. Not even close. Effectiveness is important.

How effective can Bernie Sanders hope to be as President of the United States from 2017 to 2021 or 2025? How much help can he or his supporters hope to get from Congress? The Republican side obviously won’t be eager to assist, but why would the Democrat side help him?

Here’s an important thing about being a “non-establishment” candidate: once elected to the highest office of the executive branch, you can’t get anything done unless your non-establishment becomes the new establishment. It’s the unspoken, unwritten check & balance. Bernie Sanders as President is much like Avery Johnson running a half-court offence—on permanent self-check. How/Why would anyone vote for that?

The other, and larger, issue I have with Sanders’ candidacy is his running as a Democrat. I do not understand how anyone, no matter his/her political affiliations and leanings, can vote for him while he runs as a Democrat. He is not a Democrat. He’s never been a Democrat, at least not during his political career, which began during the Nixon Administration. Sanders only became a Democrat last year for the sole purpose of running for President as member of a party whose size could allow him to actually win.

I view Sanders running as a Democrat no differently than I do people who claim their great-great-grandmother was half Shawnee in order to get a scholarship or move to California before the senior year of high school so as to go to Berkeley as an in-state student. It’s fraudulent. Say whatever you want about American politics, but I refuse to vote for a candidate who knowingly and admittedly seeks party backing on fraudulent terms.

Bernie Sanders? GTFOHWTBS

No comments:

Post a Comment